Our use of Cookies

This site uses only cookies strictly necessary to ensure the site works correctly.

Please read about how we use cookies.

Hide this message

Strictly necessary and non-essential cookies

By clicking accept all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies and to our cookie policy.

We use third-party cookies on this site.

You have accepted necessary cookies only

You can change your cookie settings at any time
Hide this message

Terrestrial plants

This section provides links to guidance documents that have been produced by a range of organisations.  While this information should be a useful resource, the Non-native Species Secretariat cannot endorse any guidance. If you would like to recommend management information to include here please contact us

Jump to:


Terrestrial plants

Acaena novae-zelandiae (Pirri-pirri Bur)


Ambrosia artemisiifolia (Common Ragweed)


Buddleja davidii (Buddleia)


Cotoneaster spp


Fallopia japonica (Japanese Knotweed)

Details of the Japanese Knotweed code of practice, produced by the Environment Agency in England, are provided below, followed by a list of other resources that are available.  

Japanese Knotweed Code of Practice

Please note, the Code of Practice has been withdrawn from use because the Environment Agency no longer provides best practice guidance. See Gov.UK guidance on preventing invasive non-native plants from spreading (external link).

The Environment Agency in England has developed a code of practice (PDF) to help developers manage Japanese knotweed legally. It also gives options for cost effectively managing Japanese knotweed on site. Hauliers, architects, planners, designers, contractors, consultants and landscape gardeners can also use this code. Please note, the Code of Practice has been withdrawn 

Link to the Environment Agency's Japanese Knotweed Code of Practice (PDF)

The code of practice is intended to reduce waste and regulation. It is not intended as comprehensive guidance on control methods, but it does describe a number of methods that have been proven to be effective. Whatever method you use to treat soil contaminated with Japanese knotweed rhizome on site, you must follow the guidance in Section 2.4 with regards its reuse on site. If it is taken off-site it must be disposed of via landfill or incineration. It should not be sold or disposed of as soil.

You do not need to be a specialist contractor to administer the code of practice, but there are a number of companies that specialise in Japanese knotweed treatment. Many, but not all, of these companies belong to one of two trades’ bodies that specialise in the management of invasive non-native plants in general, and Japanese knotweed in particular.

The Environment Agency cannot endorse any company offering these services, and you must ensure that they either operate within the code of practice, or obtain the necessary environmental permits for their activities.

You can get advice on managing waste in England from the Environment Agency on their customer services line; 03708 506 506

If you see anyone illegally moving or disposing of waste, call the incident hotline on; 0800 80 70 60.

Additional resources


Heracleum mantegazzianum (Giant Hogweed)


Impatiens glandulifera (Himalayan Balsam)


Lysichiton americanus (American Skunk-cabbage)


Mahonia aquifolium (Oregon grape)


Rhododendron ponticum (Rhododendron)

Website Links: