Over 2,000 plants and animals have been introduced to Britain from all over the world by people. These are known as non-native species. Most are harmless, but around 10-15% spread and become invasive non-native species which harm wildlife and the environment, are costly to the economy and can even impact on our health and way of life.
These pages provide further information and resources on non-native species.
- Species alerts - view a list of current alert species to look out for and record.
- Information Portal - search for information on non-native species that have been recorded in Britain.
- Risk analysis - risk assessments for over 100 non-native species, as well as information on horizon scanning and risk management.
- Contingency plans - the latest contingency plans to facilitate rapid and effective action.
- Gallery - images of non-native species, biosecurity and management that are available for use.
- ID sheets - identification guides for over 60 non-native species.
- Management - links to information about management of some of the most common invasive non-native species.