Local Action Group Toolkit
Welcome to the Local Action Group Toolkit pages! This part of the website aims to assist non-native species action on the ground at local, county and regional levels. Here, you can find information, guidance and practical advice to help existing groups or forums to tackle non-native species and to help set up new initiatives.
If you would like any of the resources on CD, contact us here.
Share knowledge and ideas with other Local Action Groups in the online LAG forum. Visit www.bigtent.com/groups/gblag for more information and to sign up!
Pocket guide to Balsam Bashing
Non-native species information
General information on non-native species, and useful resources to help with identification and recording
- Alert species - find out which species are currently on our alert list, and where to report sightings
- Non-native Species Information Portal - information on over 300 species
- ID sheets - information, descriptions and images to help with identification of over 60 different species
- Recording - advice on recording non-native species, and links to recommended websites and smartphone apps
- Photos - downloadable photo gallery of non-native species
- Videos - videos of expert commentary on four invasive non-native species
- Sounds - vocal calls of some non-native species
Guidance and resources that may be useful when planning a non-native species project
- Projects database - register your project on our database and find other projects
- Project planning - how to plan a project
- Local strategic plan - information on prioritisation, surveys, and management options
- Funding - links to potential funding bodies and opportunities
- Useful links - links to other useful websites
- Risk assessments - access to completed non-native species risk assesments
Awareness raising and communication
Links to existing awareness raising campaigns, key facts and statistics about non-native species, and guidance on communicating with stakeholders and the public
- Public awareness campaigns - Be Plant Wise & Check Clean Dry
- Awareness Raising - Guidance for key messages and language to use in communications as well as press releases.
- FAQs - on Non-native species.
- Statistics and facts - on non-native species
- Leaflets, Posters and Presentations - Editable documents for local action groups to personalise.
- What are non-native species - including definitions and how do they affect me?
- Impact examples - Case studies of some of the impacts of non-native species.
Guidance and advice
Information on management, biosecurity and legislation
- Invasive Species Action Plans
- Surveying for non-native species
- General guidance - on non-native species including Japanese Knotweed and aquatic plants.
- Control methods - How to control aquatic non-native species.
- Disposal of plant waste - How to dispose of plant waste material.
- Biosecurity - How to avoid the spread of disease, parasites and pests including several links to useful documents including safety data sheets.
- Legislation - Non-native Species are covered by several pieces of legislation which can be accesed here.
- Health and safety advice - Links to sources of health and safety advise.
We are very keen to make these pages as up-to-date and as useful as possible, so please contact us to suggest improvements or to add to the information.
Defra review of Local Action Group achievement
Defra is publishing the report so that Local Action Groups have an objective evidence base to demonstrate how they can provide local, cost effective solutions to the management of harmful non-native species in the future.
Download the report here.